Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Standard Content support for woodworking

mike_masarmike_masar Member Posts: 4
I do a combination of metal working and woodworking.  I'm new to Onshape but it looks like an excellent tool and it looks like it would be very useful for woodworkers also, especially the Create or Edit In Context since much of woodworking design is sort of creating structures as you go along to match up with other existing pieces.  I was very impressed with the capability of the hardware in Standard Content.  I was wondering if there were any plans to include wood screws in the library?  Maybe I just missed them.  I think many woodworkers would find Onshape a valuable tool.  Seems like Sketchup is the default tool but it leaves a lot to be desired.  Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    We have some self-tapping screws. What screws are you looking for in particular? McMaster links help.

Also be sure to check out some of the custom features on the forum that were designed for wood working!
    Support & QA
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @mike_masar

At thie link below, you will find 8 GIFs that show one way to make rabbets, dados & dovetails. They are at the bottom of the thread

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12321/is-on-shape-a-realistic-starting-point-for-a-cad-beginner

The GIFs are a bit jerky. And that’s because they’re made on an iPhone. When you try to make longer GIFs on an iPhone, they start to get jerky. So realize that the jerky motion of the GIF is no reflection on Onshape itself. In reality, when you’re using Onshape, the action is very smooth

• Options
    mike_masarmike_masar Member Posts: 4
    Thank you.  I hadn't thought of McMaster.  I was just so impressed with your Standard Content but didn't see any wood type screws.  I'm a retired electrical engineer so have used AutoCad quite a bit but for electrical drawings.  I do hobby machining and woodworking now.  I was introduced to your system from Home Shop Machinist magazine where they had a series on using your program.  I belong to a model engine club which has some incredibly talented machinists, point being there is also a hobby market for your product.  I've spend a lot of time watching Utube videos on using Onshape and I think I am to the point now where I can use it to design a bench for my lathe that I need to make.  Thanks for the help, Mike