Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Create a ridge on existing face

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Hi gang! Everytime I ask a question here I learn so much, so I'm going to keep going with that trend (until someone tells me to stop, or until I can answer some questions, myself!)

I have an opening in a solid that into which another part can fit. In order to make a more snug connection, I'd like to add a very small ridge or lip all around that opening. This lip could be rounded or angular (preferably rounded). I could conceivably use a circular profile and run it around a projected drawing of the edge to get the lip, but I'm wondering if there's another way, similar to the way Thicken might work.

Thicken would affect the entire face, but I'm looking for just a small portion of that face to be thickened as it were (and then filletted to make a rounder shape).

The "edge" I'm looking to "thicken" or create a lip on here is the inside edge of the chamfer all around the opening.

Any creative ideas welcomed! I'm just here to learn and loving every minute of it.

Be well and thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @tom_auger

I extruded this up higher just so you can easily see how the tool works. You don’t have to extrude up as high. And you don’t have to make it as thick.

From here, you can select the top face of what you extruded up using the thin feature tool, and then put a fillet on it

• Options

• Options
    edited May 2020

Here is where you will find the Extrude FeatureScript used to do this

d4ef208f8075c2efd086c6be

• Options

• Options

Here is where you will find the Extrude FeatureScript used to do this

d4ef208f8075c2efd086c6be

Hi Steve! Thanks for the interesting solution. Do I understand correctly that what you're demonstrating in the videos is not a native function but implemented via FeatureScript?

Thanks,

Tom
  • Options
    @tom_auger

Yeah you’re right. It is not one of the tools that comes with the program when you first start using it.

I don’t know where you stand on this, but I had a friend that was adverse to using anything other than the native tools on a CAD package we both used to use way back when.

I’ve always thought, yeah learn the basics real good. But don’t limit yourself

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @tom_auger

Obviously a lot of us like answering questions and we all learn together.  So keep em coming!  :)

Here is a different read I had on your OP and a bit of different methods (see document here).  I like using mate connectors for sketch.  Here you can see i shifted MC  down a bit off the corner of chamfer.  Then make a sketch with Use of chamfer corner, extrude surface as @mahir suggested, then thicken with add turned on and finally fillet.  

That all said, I think your first inclination of using Sweep was the right one, but you asked for variety... :)

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @tom_auger

THIN FEATURE will allow you to extrude UPWARD or INWARD

Good read on OP by @bruce_williams
    Never crossed my simple mind

• Options

Here is a different read I had on your OP and a bit of different methods (see document here).  I like using mate connectors for sketch.  Here you can see i shifted MC  down a bit off the corner of chamfer.  Then make a sketch with Use of chamfer corner, extrude surface as @mahir suggested, then thicken with add turned on and finally fillet.  

Thanks Bruce! I'm recently a huge fan of mate connectors too having learned of their power in feature generation not just part assembly! The method you describe is quite straightforward and easy to implement, and gives exactly the results I was looking for!
  • Options

I don’t know where you stand on this

I’ve always thought, yeah learn the basics real good. But don’t limit yourself

It's a beautiful FeatureScript! I'm certainly not adverse to FS - been learning it myself. However, first I want to understand what is natively capable to increase my comprehension not just of the software, but also the kind of thinking you need to have to be able to successfully model anything – and for that I think it's best to understand what is natively possible first.

Thanks so much for that time-saving script!
  • Options
    @steve_shubin just wanted to come back a year and a half later and thank you again for introducing me to this powerful tool. I was in the midst of posting a question relating to a different problem when I remembered vaguely that there was another technique someone had shown me and sure enough it was that thin-extrude FS. Brilliant. Thanks for making an impact!
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tom_auger

I had a friend that was adverse to using anything other than the native tools on a CAD package we both used to use way back when.
    Your friend is right, but not with Onshape because the "native tools" in Onshape are FeatureScripts too (see Onshape's std document)

So, your FS are just like any other native feature.
    Please, don't try this with other CAD system ;-)

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común