Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Multiple part iterations still linked to base sketch

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Hi friends! This is more of a workflow or higher level question involving how to make various "branches" of a part can co-exist and still maintain a reference to the base sketch etc.

As an example, say I'm working on an armature that has a number of different terminations, but most of the core geometry would be driven by the same sketch. I had considered just using branching and versioning, but then if the base sketch is altered, it won't cascade through the versions.

The other option was just using a linear part pattern with 0 offset and then showing / hiding parts, but that seems a bit kludgy, and wondering if there's a better workflow that I'm just not thinking of.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Tom

Best Answer

Answers

• tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    mahir said:
    Sounds like a job for configurations.
    Thanks, Mahir, I'm off to learn about configurations then! Sometimes it's just learning the right word to Google...

That said, if anyone has some concrete examples they can point me to to get me further along, it would be greatly appreciated!

Tom
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here's an example with several types of configuration inputs (list, checkbox, variable). Depending on what is selected in the area above the feature tree, either features are suppressed, selections changed, or dimensions modified.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/b02ec721136c6121c1a02cc1

• tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    My mind is well and truly blown, not for the first time with Onshape, and probably not the last. It is such a privilege to be able to use this professional-grade tool for my little home maker lab. 

With gratitude,

Tom