Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Nuts & Bolts...for every hole?

digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
How does everyone else deal with all the nuts & bolts for a project....does everyone really go around and add all the fasteners to every single hole?  Yikes! that is a lot of repetitive work...

Also, I have use the Onshape Standard Content feature for some nuts and bolts but have also made my own configs since I prefer to control the name of the items  (see image)
am I shooting myself in the foot by not using the Onshape Standard Content feature?

Comments

• Options
    ethan_doak1ethan_doak1 Member Posts: 11 PRO
    I would strongly recommend making use of the Replicate tool! It's super nice for applications like this. 
  • Options
    digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
    ok i found this...

the problem is items (like the nut shown above) that is not in the Standard Content...Suggestions?

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Standard content has some awesome time savers built in for placing things, but Replicate is something different and still works for what you need. Look for this icon in the assembly.

it just finds identical geometry (like an edge of the same diameter) and populates it all with the same exact mate. For that reason, pay attention to how to mated your first nut (edge vs face, for example), since it will look for that relationship elsewhere.

pro tip: name the first mate and it will replicate the mate name too. Instead of 100 mates called "fastened 1" they can at least all be "nut".
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl