Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Move face does not honor direction

gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
I am trying to move the face of a part in a particular direction. Luckily, "Move Face -> Translate" allows to give direction.
When I try to do that though, the translation always happens normal to the face. Am I doing it wrong?

The arrow is correct, but the translation is not in the same direction.

Here is a minimal example.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    steve_shubin Do you mean that I should use that Extrude tool instead? I guess it's a feature script? Maybe time has come for me to take the plunge.

Currently solving it another way, it's time consuming (I have about 20 of these), but what I'm really interested in eventually is a vertical wall.
    Plane (line angle), Sketch and Use, Extrude to part:

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It's hard to visualize, but I believe the behavior is by design. When you move a face, you're not really dealing with that specific surface. You're really working with the supersurface extending beyond that specific face. So when you add that direction, that's really just changing how the distance is measured (projected along the selected direction), but not how the surface is moved. Also, doing what you're looking to do would involve creating new faces. Move Face doesn't do that. It only moves geometry, not create it. Per @gauthier_östervall, what you want is really an extrusion or sweep of the surface in a specific direction.
  • Options
    Maybe time has come for me to take the plunge
  • Options
    @gauthier_östervall

The way I feel about a lot of things is that unless you’re a glutton for punishment, you might want to do it the easier or faster way