Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

This isn't letting me fillet this .5 inches

I have been having trouble trying to fillet this object in the project. It keeps saying that it failed to generate properly but it only lets me fillet from .3,.2,.1, and anything in between those measurements up to 3.9. I fillet in other project and it doesn't have any errors. here are some pictures. the one below this one is  I could extrude 5 inches

Best Answer

Answers

• carlos_frias469carlos_frias469 Member Posts: 9 EDU
    edited June 2020
    It helped but I have specific measurements that I need to follow for the radius for that part it is supposed to be. But I was washing a tutorial on Inventor so that might be the difference. But I shared my documenthttps://cad.onshape.com/documents/64deaeba0f6480aae84d93af/w/d9c545a3f64fc43ceb012c98/e/3a70aa50db65d6509c8d9628
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    @carlos_frias469 - what is the URL? Also, did you make it public?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    no I haven't
    Shared it with onshape support
    Setting that radius to 0.5in would completely consume that face - what is the real-world purpose of this part?

BTW for non-paid subscriptions, the forum is the correct place to get support.
    Okay no I meant that I wan't to fillet this .5 inches not putting the radius .5 inches on this
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't have Copy permissions, but from what I can see and measure the problem is in your first sketch. You have 3 arcs, and none of them are tangent. I've circled what looks like non-tangent connections between the arcs. Also, your smallest arc has a radius of .4in. These issues limit how large a fillet you can add.

I recreated a similar shape, and the largest feasible fillet was only .35.

Making the arcs tangent helped a bit and allowed me increase the fillet to .48 (almost .5). So bottom line, make sure your base sketch is correct.

edited June 2020
    That's what I meant - you can add a fillet of 4.7in but no bigger

EDIT: and yes I fixed the sketch tangent issue first
    edited June 2020
    Ive tried Mahir but its not letting me make the fillet to even .48 only .35
    nobody? okay my problem isn't solved
    What should it look like? Can you show us the Inventor tutorial? What is the purpose of this part? What problem are you trying to solve?
    If nothing else, your sketch is not fully constrained. And without a constrained sketch, your geometry isn't locked down, which will yield indeterminate results when adding a fillet that depends on that geometry.

Like Neil was saying, without seeing the tutorial I can't tell what you're trying to accomplish.
     :( 
    So if you watch the video carefully (I spent about 3 seconds looking at it) he selects the edge, not the face like you did - do the same and you'll get the same result.
    NeilCooke said:
    So if you watch the video carefully (I spent about 3 seconds looking at it) he selects the edge, not the face like you did - do the same and you'll get the same result.
    @NeilCooke, good on you for having the patience to sit and watch that :D I had a feeling face selection had something to do with it. In 2 decades of modeling, I can probably count on my hands the number times I've filleted a face instead of specific edges (barring 2 and 3-surface face fillets).