Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Multi-Part Studio Added to Assembly in Context - How to get Multiple Parts into Assembly?

travis_taylor065travis_taylor065 Member Posts: 3
Hello Everyone,

I have probably not followed the correct etiquette with this but I've built the majority of my assembly as in context additions.  Which results in multi-part part studios being added.  Now generally I can remember to select everything so that it inputs all the different parts into the assembly.  However sometimes I update a Part Studio or miss something and it doesn't put all the correct bodies into the assembly.  

Now is there a way to update or input the parts manually from the part studio?  I still have trouble with the mates and other connecting functions in Onshape which is primarily why I build in context as I go.  I generally have bad results with mates breaking things - even if they're all built in context and using the same origin.  Anyways that's a whole other issue.

But for example I have a power cable that I started out in context from the Main Assembly.  Then in the Part Studio I built the two parts, but forgot to select both entities when clicking ok on the top "Insert Into Assembly" dialogue that shows up when doing that.  So now it's imported one part but not the other.  Is there a way for me to select the missing part and get it into the assembly easily?  I can't seem to find any sort of "update context in assembly" function in the part studio, and the only way I've managed to get something similar worked out is by versioning a part studio and updating the context in the feature tree.  

Hopefully that's not too confusing.  I've provided a couple screenshots below of my problem.  The first is the two-part Studio.  And then you can see how it's imported into the Assembly.  Is there a way to get the cable part into the assembly in the correct position from the Part Studio window?  or will I have to either redraw it, or manually insert just the cable piece?  

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    You should just be able to insert the missing part and it will go into the correct place, assuming it was part of the in-context design. When you pick the origin point when creating an in-context edit, that creates the origin point reference for the part studio. If you just insert a part and hit the green checkmark without 'placing' it into the assembly then it will drop into place. I've attached a gif for reference.

ALTERNATIVE if the assembly position is not the same for whatever reason.

I'm assuming the cable piece is centered on the part you did insert into the assembly. If that's the case you can insert the cable and use a fasten mate to quickly lock it in place. If you want a little more protection OR if the design is not centered, you can create mate connectors on both parts in the Part Studio and use those for mating them together.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    travis_taylor065travis_taylor065 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Bradley.  I was playing with it last night and discovered that if you don't hover over the window it will place it automatically in the in context location.  so I'm going to try that with an updated part today to make sure it works even if the studio has had multiple bodies added to it.