Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SpaceMouse Won't Rotate the View In Sketch Mode

christopher_graham586christopher_graham586 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
The title describes the problem.  I just got a SpaceMouse and it works fine in non-sketch mode but when I enter sketch mode the model can be panned side to side and up and down but it's locked with the sketch plane perpendicular to the  viewing direction.  Why is this?  Sometimes I need to view from a different direction when sketching, for example to see vertices that aren't visible from looking straight down.

What can I do about this?

Comments

• Options
    christopher_graham586christopher_graham586 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Edit: It turns out that if sketch mode is entered when the sketch plane is tilted to the viewing plane then it's possible to rotate the model in sketch mode.  However why ever lock rotation in sketch mode?  It there an option to turn this feature off? 
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I prefer it to lock in sketch mode so I can make sure everything is aligned nicely. If you want to break out of it, you can rotate a bit with the mouse manually then rotate freely in the sketch. I don't know if there's a setting for it.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    cougar_amedacougar_ameda Member Posts: 2
    I recently got a spacemouse, and also found this problem on Windows. On my mac I don't have the issue.

It's nothing but a nuisance for me because I have a dedicated button on my spacemouse to lock the rotation when I want it to.

I would appreciate if anyone knows how to fix this.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    When it gets stuck like this in sketcher, If you do even a little 3D move with a mouse or trackpad, then the space mouse will work. 
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    This hasn't happened to me for a long time, so I considered it fixed, but it happened several times yesterday and the day before. It appears that, as soon as I accidentally get very close to a plan view on the sketch plane, it kinda locks in.
    Has something changed? If so, it was no improvement in this regard.