Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Projected curve: Error regenerating

thomas_aathomas_aa Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited July 2020 in Community Support
As practice, I'm trying to model a mini stapler from my desk. I started sketch the white "cross" on the back of the stapler, as seen from Top and Right.

Now I'm trying to create a Projected curve between my two sketches, but I hit the problem "error regenerating", if I select all edges touching both white and pink areas ("Full curve" in the feature list). If I only select some, the curve works ("Partial curve"). Why is this? Does it have to do with one of the sketches backing up on itself, creating two solutions?

I also tried to do combine curve on the same edges and I get the curves, but there seems to be no way to combine them?

1. What is the problem?
2. Is it possible to project existing curves on each other?
3. What is the proper way to do this?

Please see this document:

edit.

Going by https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10692/slope-between-2-points I extruded surfaces and found that my curves did not intersect in all points. However, the "Full curve" is still failing.

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks!

Observing the split some more, I guess that the problem here is one continuous curve? E.g. the line starts out as green in my picture but go to either purple or yellow. So any doubling back will fail.

Cutting my splines into pieces and selecting a few of them, I could also observe the following mirrored line with projected curve, which clearly shows me that the same segment from one of the sketches is used twice.

Splitting up the splines, I could create multiple projected curves.

Then I tried to Fill, but it failed. I found that I had not lined up the "tips" of the splits correctly, resulting in a hole in the long curve formed by each of my projected curves. The location was marked by the Fill tool and was also visible when I zoomed in close.

Finally, I got this :) !

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks!

Observing the split some more, I guess that the problem here is one continuous curve? E.g. the line starts out as green in my picture but go to either purple or yellow. So any doubling back will fail.

Cutting my splines into pieces and selecting a few of them, I could also observe the following mirrored line with projected curve, which clearly shows me that the same segment from one of the sketches is used twice.

Splitting up the splines, I could create multiple projected curves.

Then I tried to Fill, but it failed. I found that I had not lined up the "tips" of the splits correctly, resulting in a hole in the long curve formed by each of my projected curves. The location was marked by the Fill tool and was also visible when I zoomed in close.

Finally, I got this :) !