Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Quantify Curvature Comb (local magnitude and direction of curvature)

matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
Is it currently possible to quantify the magnitude and direction of curvature from the curvature comb?  Onshape displays the minimum radius (reciprocal of maximum curvature), but what about other locations along the curve?

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited August 2020
    I don't think it's possible with built-in tools, but I'd use it if it was. I have already been looking at what's available in featurescript for curvature evaluation, so this was fresh enough on my mind to write this rudamentary script that can do it: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/08081f0d1d945086a5efbe77/v/b6d1515aaa3220416d67f7b0/e/e847ec56d76d18b3af815cd7

it only accepts one curve at a time, and to find the approximate point you want it kind of a guess-and-check process right now.

I'm out of time for now, but it could be taken much farther:
    1. output rounded numbers and sensible units
    2. include surfaces
    3. be able to select a sketch point instead of putting numbers in for the point position
    4. be able to iterate through a whole bunch of points and find the approximate min and max locations
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl