Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using Parts from a dfferent document

scottyvoidscottyvoid Member Posts: 8
is there any way using a part from one document to another ?

Comments

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Hi @scottyvoid if you have a part in one document and want to insert it into another document you right click on the TAB (part) you want to copy and select Copy To clipboard / Then open the document where you want to use the copied part, select the + icon (Lower left Corner) and select Paste Tab, then in order to use it OS introduced the derived feature, check the second video in the link.

https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/whats-new-8-10-2015
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    michael_capromichael_capro OS Professional Posts: 4
    edited September 2016
    ok, I get the copy to another document part. The 'derived' threw me. I went into a Parts Studio and saw the 'derived' icon and clicked it. The 'derived' is the same as 'insert' in he assembly Tab. You use the 'derive' to insert a part that you'll be using to derive another newer part. The 'derived' part, just like the inserted part, is updated when the part is modified.

got it, thanks.