Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Post assembly machining

gerald_friedmangerald_friedman OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
Don’t know how common this is but I have an assembly to which I need to do post machining.

The only way I think I can do it is to make a configuration of the parts to be machined and play with the configuration images in the final drawings.

Anyone out there up against this issue?

Comments

• Options
    HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    I see no other possibility at the moment.
    In Solid Edge there is a special "assembly feature" for this purpose.
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @gerald_friedman -Could you describe the output you're trying to achieve in a little more detail?

Depending on the complexity, it sounds like this might be one instance where you design multiple parts in the same part studio and use configurations to turn the "post-assembly features" ON or OFF. Alternatively, it sounds like in-context design may be useful here as well?

I've also seen someone using multiple branches to model a cast part before and after having additional features machined. He created the part in one branch. Then, made a new branch and added the machined features. If you need to change the pre-cast part, you can add features to the first branch and then merge them into the second branch. It seems at least analogous to your situation where you need to document the same part in two different stages of the manufacturing process. (You should even be able to show both states of the part on the same drawing if you link the drawing views to specific versions on each branch).