Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Resizing the text of a dimension in a sketch

I'm a middle school engineering teacher rolling out Onshape Education Enterprise this fall with my students. Quick question- is there a way to make the dimension numbers bigger in a sketch? The numbers are somewhat small and in trying to take screenshots to support struggling students, I'm hoping to make them more readable. 

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a specific way to to change the size of dimensions on a sketch. Maybe its driven by your monitor resolution? 

A couple of alternatives you could try:
    • Close the sketch, but keep it visible. Right click on the sketch in the feature tree to "show dimensions". Then use the "print" option from the part studio menu to download a high-res PNG. Then, the student could zoom-in as needed.
    • You can add sketches to a drawing, add your dimension there. In a drawing tab, there are options for changing the text size for dimensions. 
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    edited August 2020
    There isn't a way to adjust the size of individual UI components. However, you can use the browser's zoom setting (Ctrl +, Ctrl -, Ctrl 0) to scale up/down the whole UI.
    100% (default) zoom:

200% zoom:

Alternatively, you can make the window smaller and take a window screenshot (Alt Prt Sc on Ubuntu, not sure on other operating systems):

This will get you the larger size of the dimension numbers relative to the overall size of the image without making the 3D graphics area fuzzy.

I've used the browser zoom feature when presenting in person to make it easier to see the whole UI for people sitting far away from the projector. It might also be a good idea if you're presenting to an inexperienced audience on a video call so that it's possible to see/read all of the content on the screen even if they are using a low-resolution monitor (or if only a fraction of the screen shows your video feed, such as in zoom). Although, if you're sharing a single window, resizing it to be smaller might also work (but I haven't tried it, since I prefer sharing my whole desktop).

I hope this helped!

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    brendan_martin531brendan_martin531 Member Posts: 3 EDU
    edited September 2020
    Thank you both very much for your responses! 
  • Options
    dbaardadbaarda Member Posts: 9
    I don't use Drawings, just Sketches, and use "show dimentions" and "Print..." to print them. Using the browser's zoom setting (Ctrl +, Ctrl -, Ctrl 0) works nicely to resize the dimension text in the browser, but when I hit "Print..." it resizes them back to the default size. This means screen-capture prints are the only way to print the resized text, which is mildy annoying.

It would be really nice if the default text size could be changed and have it apply to both the screen and prints.