Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Current ITAR status or roadmap

lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
I know it's come up on the forums previously, but the most recent discussion I found was over a year ago.  What's the current status of Onshape regarding ITAR compliance?  I might try to convince my new company to switch, but ITAR compliance is a definite prerequisite for that discussion.
Arul Suresh
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University

Comments

• Options
    Ryan_McClellandRyan_McClelland Member Posts: 26 PRO
    Same here.
  • Options
    Geoffrey_10Geoffrey_10 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    +1 Here. I have an opportunity to make my organizations life easier (and by extension mine) through Onshape and the integrated tools. The lack of ITAR compliance is killing all hope of that migration currently. 
  • Options
    mike_evermanmike_everman Member, csevp Posts: 9 PRO
    I too have a need to be ITAR compliant.  What can I say to my new Aerospace customers?  Not to mention others like Disney and Apple who do not want cloud anything other than their own.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe someone from Onshape could comment publicly here on this topic.  @jon_hirschtick ?

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    I am also interested in ITAR compliance. We're currently using Onshape for some non-restricted hardware, but we have to use SolidWorks for many of our satellite's subsystems as well as the main assembly/model.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 359
    We definitely realize how important ITAR support is to our customers. As with all upcoming improvements to Onshape, we do not release roadmaps or dates for delivery. This allows us to be agile in our development and hold delivery until the quality and functionality is up to our standards and not disappoint our users.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    lucas_johnson223lucas_johnson223 Member, csevp Posts: 18 PRO
    Please please prioritize ITAR!  For anyone interested, let's upvote the ITAR improvement request.
    ITAR Compliance — Onshape

• Options
    jeremy_lee540jeremy_lee540 Member Posts: 9 PRO
    Reviving this subject as many times as needs to be. As someone who has been using and loving Onshape for almost 8 years, I just started working solely on flight hardware so have gone back to Solidworks and I want to cry. My work output has immediately slowed down and in aerospace that's a tough pill to swallow.
  • Options
    Ryan_McClellandRyan_McClelland Member Posts: 26 PRO
    I believe it is a chicken-and-egg problem. Becoming officially ITAR certified takes $$ investment from OnShape. However, they don't know if they will have sufficient customers to justify the investment. I'm pretty sure they will.
    This would also then compete more directly with PTC's other product, Creo, so that may be another factor.
    I feel your pain.
  • Options
    chris_aicherchris_aicher OS Professional, User Group Leader Posts: 23 PRO
    Reviving this subject as many times as needs to be. As someone who has been using and loving Onshape for almost 8 years, I just started working solely on flight hardware so have gone back to Solidworks and I want to cry. My work output has immediately slowed down and in aerospace that's a tough pill to swallow.
    Still nothing on the ITAR front? New project coming up and sooo do not want to use SW.
    Chris Aicher
    aicher@battleaxe.com
    Tigard, OR