Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I need a way to have a drawing to be fitted in many 8.5x11 paper

hi
so I need to make myself a cut template. Thing is, i do not have access to any large scale printer. I only have a standard size A4 printer.
So, is there a way to print my 1:1 scale sketch to many sheets of paper? say you need 8 A4, you tape them together, and you have the full scale drawing?
it may be really simple, i'm new to all this. 
thanks

Answers

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    What kind of shape are you cutting? The strategy for making a template can depend on the shape and where the detail is.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I to do not have a plotter and, parts that I need to reverse design and check with a 1:1 drawing I use this process.

This is what I do. First I get 2 chairs and a sheet of clear lexan and place a flash light underneath to make a light table.

Here is the design:

I will first make a grid so that I can have the 8.5 x 11 sheets overlap

I will then put shapes/ numbers etc. in key locations that I can line up when overlaying the sheets. I like to go with square shapes because it is easier to line up 90 degree corners.

Just remember to print sheets that overlap to have common line up marks/ shapes so you can line up the design.

Hope this helps.

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    vincent_lemayvincent_lemay Member Posts: 2
    thanks guys,
    good idea on the lexan, but I wanted something faster and somewhat precise. If there is no way to do that in onshape, i'll simply make the drawing, like if I was working sheet metal.

I'm trying to put 2 55 gallons barrel on a "T" shape. It's, in fact, a way to see what I can do if I start with a CAD design, rather than the usual, "eyeball it" way.

Thanks again, and sorry, i'm in no way a "CAD guy", but I have to start somewhere.

cheers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @vincent_lemay - I think the solution may be outside of onshape. I would try making your drawing sheet in onshape big enough for the 1:1 model, then export the drawing as a pdf or something. Then, when you print, make sure to set scale to 100% and your printer driver should be able to split the image up into multiple pages with small boarders. Then you can trim and align the pages to each other. 
  • Options
    terry_brileyterry_briley Member Posts: 7 EDU
    https://posterazor.sourceforge.io/
    This program is free and does what you are looking for.