Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Make in-context holes contingent on vendor parts?

Hello,  Very new to Onshape, so this may be trivial. 

Have an assembly with some custom and vendor parts, the position which is governed by the optical path.  Would like to bolt all parts to a backplane -- how to make counter-bored holes in the backplane conditional on the holes in the parts?  (I'm no expert at Solidworks either, but recall this operation was fairly easy)

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    tim_hanson849tim_hanson849 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    OK, I figured out a workable solution: edit the part "in context" -> Make a sketch on the plane where the holes will be drilled -> Change view mode to "Hidden Edges visible" -> In sketch "Use" tool to import those circles and points to specify the locations of the holes. 

Now, the problem is that the hidden edges are barely visible.  You basically have to guess.  Maybe there is a setting to fix this?

• Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tim_hanson849I think there are a few thinhs you can improve:

1 - There are duplicated dimensions and too much information in Sketch1. Also there is geometry that is not completely constrained

I prefer 4 clean and simplier sketches than a complex sketch like that

2 - If you design the parts in the Part Studio in their position it will be easier to use features that involve 2 or more parts and later create the assembly. And you will avoid to create that edits in context

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común