Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I am having assembly issue.

robert_lyons820robert_lyons820 Member Posts: 3
I am a new user (one week) coming from Sketchup and have gone through all the initial self tutorials and I am having a basic problem with attachments in an assembly.  I have a control arm successfully attached at one end, but when I attach the second end to  its mating surface it attaches successfully but the first attachment snaps to the other end of the new mate.
The drawing is a shock absorbing structure on the nose gear strut of an aircraft called a "knee" spring assembly that attaches to an oleo strut. There is only one assembly tab, perhaps someone would be kind enough to look at it and tell me whats wrong.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d68f6239732b430d2573253e/w/59bf15a1cc74460ddde3c8a0/e/7160df705ce6bf657f07a454

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @robert_lyons820

It’s a matter of degrees of freedom regarding the mates

In essence — certain mates are more restrictive than others. And when you start deploying various mates in particular combinations, it can cause things to bind up. So you have to switch to mates that are less restrictive

So a cylindrical mate is less restrictive than a revolute mate. And a ball mate is less restrictive than a cylindrical made — at least I think that’s the proper amount of degrees of freedom of each mate

So for example — you can use a couple ball mates in place of a revolute made

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    Hello Robert,

I was able to make Assembly1 work by changing the Slider1 mate to 'Cylindrical'.  I think that the slider mate was conflicting with the slider mate was conflicting with the joint between the upper and lower knees.  If I understand your intent, it is the knees that constrain the strut from rotating in the main bracket.

Let me know if this works for you.  If you want to share edit privileges (matthew.g.stacy@outlook.com), I can get into the document with you to figure this out.

Sometimes it's helpful to reorder the component tree, starting with the fixed component (main bracket) and then proceeding in the order that it would be built in the shop.  Mimic realistic constraint with your mates as you go.

Cheers,

-Matt
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @robert_lyons820

The original document I posted was modified more than what is showing above now