Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to merge multiple sketches into a single sketch

addison_young970addison_young970 Member Posts: 2
I need to export my whole drawing into a dfx file but i have multiple sketches and i need all the sketches to be in a single sketch what do i do 

Comments

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    There are a few options:
    - Copy and paste from each of the sketches into a new, main sketch
    - Create a new sketch and use the "use geometry" tool to project all of the other sketches into the main one
    - Create a drawing and insert the sketches and export as DXF

However, I have a feeling there may be a better workflow overall to consider. What are you trying to make/do?

It's usually easier to model in 3D and create DXFs using the drawing environment. For example, for some laser cut coasters I made recently, I used the split face tool to imprint the engraved design on the 3D coaster model and created a drawing where tangent lines were a different color from the edges so that the laser cutter could tell which were engraved and which were cut.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    _Carbyne__Carbyne_ Member Posts: 17 EDU
    alnis said:
    There are a few options:
    - Copy and paste from each of the sketches into a new, main sketch
    - Create a new sketch and use the "use geometry" tool to project all of the other sketches into the main one
    - Create a drawing and insert the sketches and export as DXF

However, I have a feeling there may be a better workflow overall to consider. What are you trying to make/do?

It's usually easier to model in 3D and create DXFs using the drawing environment. For example, for some laser cut coasters I made recently, I used the split face tool to imprint the engraved design on the 3D coaster model and created a drawing where tangent lines were a different color from the edges so that the laser cutter could tell which were engraved and which were cut.

There's no geometry tool in Onshape, do you mean individually selecting lines and right clicking to use "Use" project all other sketches into one main sketch?

Like this?:

P.S. I have heaps of super detailed sketches each with hundreds to thousands of sketch entities, what would be the fastest way of merging it all into one sketch? (By fastest I mean least mouse click)
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 801 PRO
    Don't do it.  Keep them in individual sketches.  too many entities.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,493 PRO
    Just create your new sketch an activate the "use" command, then box select everything you want converted...

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @_Carbyne_ for this sort of livery, @eric_pesty's suggestion seems like a good way to approach it if you already have it all laid out with a bunch of sketches.

In the future, I would recommend considering something like Inkscape to do livery layouts. You can do it in Onshape, but admittedly it's a CAD system, not a graphic design program :smiley:
    1. Export the face of the plate you want to put the livery on as DXF/SVG from Onshape
    2. Bring that into Inkscape to visualize where the boundaries will be/get sizing right
    3. Drop in all of the logos and move them around (easier than dealing with a bunch of sketches, plus you get the bonus of being able to use colors & raster graphics)
    4. Export as PNG from Inkscape (or whatever you're using for the layout) and bring it back into Onshape (insert image to sketch), and put the sketch into the assembly where your livery will go on the project. Voila! Colorful liveries in Onshape with easy laying out. To update the image in the assembly, simply export a new PNG, right click on the existing PNG tab in the document and select "Update...", select the new export, and everything will update, no messing around with sketch references needed.
    As a bonus, you can upload the Inkscape project file to your Onshape document to version control it using "Update..." and download it for editing to keep all of your design data in one place. Of course, it might be worth keeping your liveries in a separate document and just linking in from a version—lowering the number of tabs in an Onshape document lowers clutter, plus versions are more precise in meaning, plus performance can be better.

Hope this helps!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev