Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Model magically broken yet again!

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
This happens all the time. I don't get it. Every time I step away from a model for a few weeks, I come back to it to find it broken. Assembly issues, part issues, sketch issues---they all get their turn. Onshape, what gives? A valid model today should be a valid model tomorrow. No? I don't know why I keep trying to keep my models free of errors. Geez.
Tagged:

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @tony_soares459

Out of curiosity — are all the sketches in your document fully constrained — where all lines are black ?

And In your assembly, are all parts mated together, to the point where you can’t drag one part around in an unwanted manner ?

• JWPJWP Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Are you sharing documents? I've been using onshape for a number of years and never had this except for when someone else in the team has opened a document and made changes that broke the sketches, mates etc. Took a while to realise what was happening.
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Take a look in versions and history, there you will find the answer.
    Good luck
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @dirk-van-der-vaart: No, sadly, reverting to an earlier version does not unbreak the model.
    You'd think it would, but in these cases it doesn't. Which makes sense when you consider that nothing in particular broke it. I didn't touch it, not even to look at it, and neither did anybody else. The only thing in the feature history is a series of automatic updates by Onshape. And reverting to an earlier point in the feature history doesn't do a thing to help.
    This is what irks me about Onshape. I'll spend countless hours working on a model that seems impossible at times, and then when I finally get it right, something magically breaks, and there is no way that I can fix a model without spending days looking at my many features trying to remember what I did and why and how to go about redoing them...
    This has happened in nearly every one of my models at some point. It's been assembly issues, it's been part issues, it's been sketch issues. It's as though Onshape suddenly decides to interpret constraints or parameters somewhat differently, only to break tens of things downstream.
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @steve_shubin: Yes, I always always fully constrain and dimension my sketches. I always always mate and group parts, unless they truly are supposed to be free bodies...
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @tony_soares459 kindly share a link to your next model that breaks.  Don't fix it.  Just share it.  Perhaps someone in the community can chase your issue to ground.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    wild. I've never had this issue and am really curious to poke around and see what's broken and why.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @tony_soares459
    Please file a bug using "?" menu and share your document with support. We might be able to fix it.