Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Organizing Shared Documents into Folders

matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
Is there a way to organize documents that have been shared with me (in this case just shared from my Pro account to my Free account for demonstration purposes)?  Every document seems to be dumped into a single folder (My Onshape).  The screen shot below is the extremely simplified base case with only three documents.  This could conceivably get very ugly very fast as the number of shared documents increases. 

Given that document locations are really just URL's wouldn't it be possible to organize this listing of URL's in virtual folders (without actually moving the source documents)?  Presumably Onshape is already doing exactly that to display these documents (owned by someone else) in My Onshape.  I'm not suggesting moving the actually documents, because they are authored and owned by someone else.  Rather, I am suggesting that I should be able to organize the icons linking me to those documents in anyway that I see fit, within My Onshape.

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    This is where labels become extremely useful! They allow you to manage the documents that you have access to: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/labels.htm

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    Thanks @bradley_sauln .  Labels are indeed useful.  I appreciate the tip.  Is it possible to define a hierarchy of labels?  If so, how?

Example:
    Top-Level-Label1
         Sub-Label-a
               Sub-Sub-Label-i
               Sub-Sub-Label-ii
         Sub-Label-b

Based on my initial exploration it appears that layers may be limited to a single layer, which is still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.