Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

HowTo? Efficiently search / skim Public designs selected by a keyword?

KGHNKGHN Member Posts: 4
edited October 2020 in Community Support

I'm just starting with Onshape. I want to design a special joystick. When I search Public for "joystick" (or "potentiometer") to see if anyone has already done a design, or a similar design, the list is very long and scrolling is erratic. What's the preferred way to quickly skim available designs?

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO

Not sure what you mean by a 'very long' list - I am only seeing about 30 of each. And scrolling with the elevator bar should work fine.

To evaluate the designs besides seeing the thumbnail previews, you can see which docs have more Likes, Links, & Copies as indication of what others have found useful.

For example the Potentiometer by 'marco onthernet has 45 Links & 4 copies. It has a dozen or so electronic components.

You could also browse the Internet for supply houses that offer CAD models of their products.

Good luck!

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    arick_gomesarick_gomes Member Posts: 8
    KGHN said:

I'm just starting with Onshape. I want to design a special joystick. When I search Public for "joystick" (or "potentiometer") to see if anyone has already done a design, or a similar design, the list is very long and scrolling is erratic. What's the preferred way to quickly skim available designs?Fm whatsapp download

To quickly skim available designs in Onshape, the user can try using filters to narrow down the search results. They can filter by file type, author, date range, and other criteria to find designs that are most relevant to their needs. Additionally, using specific keywords or tags in the search bar can help to refine the search results and make it easier to find designs related to their project, such as "joystick" or "potentiometer."

• Options
    arick_gomesarick_gomes Member Posts: 8

To efficiently search/skim public designs in Onshape selected by a keyword, try the following:

1. Use Filters: Use filters to narrow down the search results based on file type, author, date range, and other criteria.

2. Specific Keywords: Use specific keywords or tags in the search bar to refine the search results and find designs related to your project.

3. Browse Top Designs: Browse the "Top Designs" section on the search page to quickly view the most popular designs related to your search keyword.

4. View Thumbnails: View the search results in "Thumbnails" view to quickly scan the designs and get a visual overview of what's available.

5. Collaborate: Connect with other users on the platform and collaborate on designs to create a customized joystick design that meets your specific needs.

• Options
    justin_carter979justin_carter979 Member Posts: 2
    KGHN said:

I'm just starting with Onshape. I want to design a special joystick. When I search Public for "joystick" (or "potentiometer") to see if anyone has already done a design, or a similar design, the list is very long and scrolling is erratic. What's the preferred way to quickly skim available designs?

I think there should be a search filter when you are up to searching the designs on Onshape. You can use the filters to find the perfect design for you. Also, there is a sorting option to sort results by "Relevance," "Date," or "Likes." Sorting by "Likes" can help you find designs that are popular or well-received by the community.

More on, Use specific keywords, explore categories, preview thumbnails, etc.

Thank you. 
  • Options
    KGHNKGHN Member Posts: 4
    Thank you, everyone, for your help.  I look forward to the next time I have time to spend with Onshape.  This project has been languishing for too long.