Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Inter Part Studio Variables

EtDusEtDus Member Posts: 4 PRO
Good morning fellow OS users and staff,

I am wondering this morning the reason why this feature does not exist already in Onshape. In every other CAD softwares I have use so far, there is a way to import and link expressions (in this case variable) between parts and documents. 

Since we can easily derive features from other part studio (and therefore linking them), I am wondering how hard it would be to code the importation of variables from other part studio.

This would be so useful and allow for easier updating in assembly.

Looking forward to hearing about this :)

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @EtDus I wholeheartedly agree that some form of global variables accessible over all document tabs, and even other documents, would be incredibly useful.  I'd also like to see variables extended to Assemblies.

As a foundation for the functionality that you propose, I would like to first have addressable sketch and feature parameters (e.g. "D2@Sketch7" or "D1@Extrude3" in SolidWorks).   The only existing, relevant OS tools I am aware of are:
    • Variables,
    • Cofiguration variables, and
    • Measure Value (feature script)
    This seems like a meaty enough topic that the OS development team might be well served to conscript an advisory team from the user community to scope out functionality based on likely use scenarios.