Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Having a reference part in an assembly drawing

HuguesLessardWRIHuguesLessardWRI Member Posts: 14 PRO
edited October 2020 in Community Support
I am making a drawing of an assembly (sorry I can't share the drawing itself due to I.P.). The assembly itself is a tool intended to be mounted on a machine via an adapter plate. I want to have the adapter plate in the tool assembly drawing as "reference", but I do not foresee how to do it.
Best result would be to have the part in the drawing view being outlined in phantom line type and not showing in the BOM of this particular drawing.
OK solution would be to not have the adapter plate showing in the BOM of this particular drawing.
I know option exists to "Exclude from BOM" in part/assembly properties, but, as far as I've tested it, it will exclude from BOM of any assembly I ever make with such part. I feel like I am missing something obvious that is just a single right-click away from happiness.
Hugues Lessard
Ingénieur de produits / Product Engineer
Waste Robotics Inc. / www.wasterobotic.com

Best Answer

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe if you have different views in your drawing that reference different assemblies (they can be on separate pages), you can select which view your BOM is linked to. So, as long as you have a view that shows the tool only (and not the adapter plate), you should be able to reference this view with your BOM. 

I think this should also work if you your "tool" is a sub-assembly of a larger assembly.  Just create views for each and reference only the tool sub-assembly when making your BOM table.