Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Replicating Organic Lofted Dining Table

I'm pretty new to OnShape and have been having trouble trying to replicate the design of this dining table I found the other day.

I think my approach is all wrong - what I've ended up with is a series of surface fills driven by profiles and guides. The whole timeline feels like a complete mess, the surface curvatures don't match up and my surfaces break whenever a dimension is changed. Maybe this isn't the right place to ask for help with this, but if anyone could give some loose guidance on how they'd approach modeling this it'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's my part studio for reference.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @maxmclaughlin loft features, with guide curves, might give you more bang for your buck.  It is sometimes challenging to achieve higher order continuity between adjacent FILL surfaces. 

For example, if you turn on CURVATURE VISUALIZATION (in the view menu ), the zebra stripes indicate a surface discontinuity where Fill 12 meets Fill 14.  That might be easier to correct with a loft feature.

Save the FILL tool to close whatever gaps you're left with at the end.

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @maxmclaughlin, I don't think you're too far off. It does seem to be a lot of features in your tree, but your general methodology looks valid. If I were doing this I would start out similarly, splitting the surface patches between high points. This would yield the same primary 4 Fills that you start with. But all those extra fills around the border aren't really necessary since those surfaces are simple prismatic surfaces normal to the table top. You can just create a simple rectangular solid and then perform a Replace Face to change one of the flat sides to your fancy surface. I may tackle this model and come back with an example.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @mahir that's beautiful.  It looks ready for some fine grit sand paper and the first coat of linseed oil.
  • Options
    maxmclaughlinmaxmclaughlin Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I missed this earlier! That looks fantastic I appreciate the help with this
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem. Happy to help. Thanks @matthew_stacy :smile: