Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Spirograph - not quite ready?

I teach a college freshman course in Onshape and another CAD course in Creo.  In Creo we do a spirograph with relations, family tables, excel analysis and trace curves.  I tried to replicate it in Onshape and got somewhere - but can't quite do it all yet. 
https://rit.onshape.com/documents/6231d8093edef711ffafaeb1/w/cef8d484b013663b9d87ff2e/e/e2c92c78ff43ca2dd847d820
The helix replaces the fill pattern we use.  The relations are a bit more complicated as variables.  The curve equations required custom features and entering the equations was more complicated.  The configurations are much much better than family tables, but the assembly relations aren't there, I don't have access to excel calculations, and trace curves aren't a thing.  Goals! 

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone would ask me to model spirograph in Creo using excel and family tables I don't even know how would I manage...
    In onshape I would derive in one part studio internal and external spur gear from a configurable doc or with Spur gear feature by Neil Cooke and it would take from 2 to 5 features, one more feature to transform internal wheel to the position, 2 features to draw flat spiral, and 3 features to make a series of holes along it. Then 3 more features to trace the trajectory. So all in all it is just about how you used to one or another instrument.