Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cutting threads

GHamszGHamsz Member Posts: 32
I’m trying to cut a square thread and have come up against a strange issue. If I position the thread profile so it’s coincident with the helix such that the profile is outside the part I’m cutting the thread in, the Boolean subtraction will fail. If I move the profile into the part I’m threading a slight amount, it works. 

The orientation in this picture works, but if I move the profile so that the helix contacts the profile on the upper right point of the square it fails.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I didn’t think to move the helix longer than the part. I’ll give that a try.

thank
  • Options
    It worked like a champ, thanks...

• Options
    doug_curtisdoug_curtis Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    ..........  I did this by creating the helix on a construction surface that is longer than the part. ...........

Matthew,  The technique you have described is exactly what I have been trying to accomplish but for the world of me, I cannot figure out the "construction surface".  I made a copy of your referenced model and I still cannot figure how you made the extrusion as a construction feature.  This would greatly enhance the use of the helix tool.

Any input is much appreciated.

Doug

• Options
    Added note, I am also trying to accomplish this on a tapered feature.

• Options
    ACK !!   I actually figured it out.  First time using surfaces in this system and a little more investigation into your example and I was able to get it.

Thanks !!
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @doug_curtis don't you just love those VOILA moments?  We spend so much time beating our heads against the wall to earn them.  I speak from past/present/future experience ... and have the callused forehead to prove it.  A bit of tenacity goes a long way.

BTW, did you notice the #L=25mm variable in that model?  That associates the length of the surface (that the helix is based on) to the length of the shaft (to be threaded).  That trick is slightly more efficient to execute in SolidWorks because every parameter and dimension has a name and is directly accessible in formulas.
  • Options
    @matthew_stacy    I actually was looking at it again today.  I ended up doing mine a little different. I did a surface offset at zero offset and then an extend boundary at a fixed distance.  I used a #variable for length in a configuration table and worked to calculate my helix based on that variable but the units was screwing with me.

Finally figured it out by making the length variable a unit-less number and adding the unit in the extrusion depth field. I was then able to still use the length variable in the equation in the helix turns field.  So no matter the length of my part, the surface is extended a fixed amount and the helix adjusts to the correct turns for the required threads.

I never used to many variables or formulas in SW as when I was using that, it was always for one off designs.