Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Force decimals in drawing dimensions to show which tolerance it has?

paul_ragotpaul_ragot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
Hello,

Is there a way to force the display of decimals in a dimension in a drawing:
ex: value is 30mm. with +/- 0.005
Default tolerance for dimensions with 3 decimals is set to +/- 0.005mm
How can I display 30.000   without having to force the value to 30.000- then it is underlined (overidden value)
Displaying 30.000 means it is +/- 0.005

Thanks.
Paul
Tagged:

Answers

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    It should do this automatically based on your sheet precision. Check in the drawing properties panel on the right that the precision is set to three decimal places (it's the third option from the top in the left tab):

Once you have adjusted this, you can right-click the tab, export as DWT, and import it into a new document to use as a template (you can add more DWT files to that document to add more templates). Be sure to make a version in that document to reference them.

However, the default templates have a precision of 0.123 for the ANSI Inch templates and 0.12 for ANSI metric & ISO templates, which I think is pretty reasonable. To navigate to the default onshape templates, select the onshape tab in the top left when making a drawing.

Hope this helps!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • paul_ragotpaul_ragot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
    Hello Alnis,

Thank you for your answer. The drawing properties page allows to force leading and trailing zeroes, but this applies to *all* dimensions in the drawing.

However, I did find the answer to my question in that page:
    set the "length trailing zeroes" - so that all dimensions have 3 trailing zeroes (using a precision of 0.123)
    Then I can edit individual dimensions and set the precision to 1 or 2 decimals- and it works fine (see the dimensions with 1 and 2 decimals):

So all is good.
    Thanks.

Paul.

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    I'm glad that you got a solution! I think I misinterpreted your question, sorry!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com