Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Puzzle Cube Project Extrude Error

josh_greenejosh_greene Member Posts: 2 EDU
Good Morning,

I am a teacher attempting to resolve a problem with a students drawing. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84815f5576aa3d9027e50775/w/105824a04b05aae20dc19632/e/5d1ceaccf701fac9185fdc3d

I have linked the model above. The issue is that the model should be 1 part but extrude3 causes the extrude to fail when the boolean is set to "Add" instead of "New".  I am assuming it has to do with the two edges touching.  I have tried multiple ways of sketching and extruding the part but I have not had any success.

Is anyone willing to take a look?
Tagged:

Comments

• Domenico_DDomenico_D Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 59 EDU
    Hi @josh_greene

The problem you are running into is called non-manifold geometry. Basically an edge can only have two faces attached to it, not 4. Another way to think about it is its not possible to manufacture. Either there has to be material there, or there has to be a gap.

Even with a 3D printer you wouldn't have an infinitesimally small edge. There would either be a measurable gap or thickness. 

To make the model one part, you would have to either add some overlap or make gap. Check out this forum post about the same issue:https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/66261#Comment_66261

• josh_greenejosh_greene Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Thank you.  I had a feeling it was this issue but Inventor/fusion don't have this issue so I wanted to check.