Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Invalid Drawing-Section-View for Composite Part or Assembly with Interference

matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
I have encountered unusual and inconsistent behavior generating drawing section views of assemblies and/or composite parts with mechanical interference.  Here is a recent example:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/31da0c76cf180b3cc5952b14/w/a2b2eaf6c6fd13f1be895e02/e/49a1b373eae4b958203b965f

This is a USB camera imported from the manufacturer (STEP file attached).  Mechanical interference occurs at two locations within the assembly.  That interference seems to prevent Onshape from generating a valid drawing section-view.  Thus far the only work-around that I have found is to suppress components (unacceptable) or boolean union parts together.

Here is a simplified example of two interfering parts:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bd653f66b2ce0a280f114e9c/w/bb5bada30a896accbcb8ecc9/e/48f6cc319f8a4dff7536b2fb.  This is a similar scenario, but it behaves slightly different than the USB camera example.
  1. Drawing of composite part generates INVALID section view
  2. Drawing of assembly, comprised solely of that same composite part, generate VALID section view
  3. Drawing of assembly, comprised of the individual piece-parts, generates VALID section view
Can anyone articulate the rules at play here?  There are numerous possible scenarios and permutations of imported parts, composite parts, and assemblies involving mechanical interference or size-on-size fits.  Thus far I am not able to consistently and reliably generate section views.  Is there a better approach than suck and see?