Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Webinar | Multi Part Modeling Tips and Tricks (October 20th, 2015)

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another webinar has just been posted on this topic, and I notice Cody is still recommending that users can use the 'equal' constraint to make entities in different sketches the same size, without warning them that this does not deliver the desired result in cases where the remote entity does not lie parallel to the plane of the current sketch.

It's also a bit disappointing to me that the same model 'usage cases' are increasingly being recycled for the various methods videos released by Onshape: a particular method almost always falls back to the same model, these days.

In earlier times (particularly for "What's New" releases) there were often different examples for the same method given in different clips, which was a great way of showing off the finer points, and keeping user interest alive. 

This is particularly important given that the product is rapidly evolving: it seems desirable to try and keep the material fresh so that existing users are incentivised to keep their product knowledge up to date (which is not only better for them individually, but better for the Onshape community)
  • Options
    don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I tried watching this webinar by clicking on the link above this morning and even though I am logged into my account I was not able to watch it. Are these webinars for Pro users only? What I find interesting based on the image posted is that the model displays excellent image tessellation or image quality. In the real world Onshape's image quality is very poor as has been demonstrated many times in other post.

As for the usage of model examples andrew_troup, do you really think their going to use something challenging?

• Options
    dan_1dan_1 Onshape Employees Posts: 21
    This content is rather old, the best thing to do would be watch a recent multi-part modeling webinar recording, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkFmjtsbv00
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @dan_1
    Thanks for posting the link.
    That's actually the webinar I was referring to in my first post, but it uses the same models as always --
    and moreover takes no account of feedback to earlier webinar and discussion on this forum (the perils of the "equal" constraint)
    ... so that while it is certainly the latest, it is not obvious that it is the greatest.

@don_howe
    I'm not suggesting something challenging, I'm just suggesting something different.
    One problem with repetitive demos (apart from the "So what" factor) is that it suggests limited scope.
     A salesman who insisted on always following the same familar route would not be persuasive when demonstrating a 4x4 vehicle.

Having said that, I wouldn't personally expect him or her to establish a new route up the North Face of the Eiger...