Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cabinet Configurations

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
If I have a cabinet with multiple configurations, like number of drawers, etc, then I want a specific configuration for some cabinets, like a side hatch, how do I suppress all the sketches and features that comprise this?

Like here I have a cabinet with side hatch and shelf. 

Is there any way to group a set of sketches and features and then suppress them as a group?

Tagged:

Answers

• famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    There's not like tags that can be attached to sketches and features and then add that tag to configurations?

I found folders as a grouping method, but I couldn't add that to configurations
    ok, maybe it's enough to just group them inside the folder, then assign one of the sketches suppression to the configuration
    This is not a clean solution, cause if I just suppress the first sketch, then all the subsequent features fails to regenerate and are marked red, which doesn't look good;)

• CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    You should just be able to suppress the extrude cut feature. If you don't want to see the sketch just hide it, having it there doesn't hurt anything. There isn't really a reason to suppress extra parts in the part studio either as you can choose to insert them into an assembly or not, or you can also make assembly configurations that change the suppression state there. Also it helps to name your features and sketches if you aren't already.
    ok, got it; thanks, but I wonder a little about small customizations to the cabinets to fit a certain context.

For example here, I modify a cabinet in the specific context of having an in-countertop trash bin. This is not exactly something that calls for a configuration, cause it's a specific use case and it's probably different with another kitchen. 

What should I do here? Should I copy the part studio and make my modifications? Seems like I'll get a lot of part studios if I do that. 

Not sure what is the proper way to solve this;)

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    seems like you're working on a cool setup. For setting up suppression of things in configs, I do it from the feature list, not the configuration panel. For example, if you have 9 configurations and are adding a 10th you can (1) add your need features that define the 10th config (2) suppress them (3) configure feature suppression while they are suppressed since it's the state you want most of your configurations (4) unsuppress them with the new config active.

For something that's more of a one-off l'd derive the configured parts into a new part studio and modify them there, that way if you make any changes to the Master Part Studio (your configured one) you can get those changes to the new studio too, which you couldn't do if you just copied it. I'd also recommend only deriving the parts that will be different, and inserting the other ones from your first studio so identical parts show up as identical in your BoM.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Hmm, as I move along, it seems I have to make a new derived part studio, not just for each cabinet, but for each drawer in all cabinets, cause each drawer is containing different stuff. In addition, to not clutter the main assembly, I create a new assembly for each cabinet and then insert this assembly into the Kitchen assembly. It's quite tedious making all these derived part studios and assemblies, so I feel it's not exactly the right workflow;)
    Well, probably don't need a new derived part studio for each drawer, as long as I make enough mate connectors in the generic one. 
    edited December 2020
    I wonder, if I use a generic part, can I later just convert this to a derived part studio?;)

If I use a part in an assembly, can I just convert this to a derived part if I need to make some modifications to it?