Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I duplicate a shape by a predefined distance within a sketch?

I am trying to duplicate the only enclosed shape within sketch skPaws within Part Studio 1 of my Untitled Document a predefined distance.  The distance in question may be either the length defined by my predefined variable #lenHeelToToe or some distance defined by the separation of any two points already defined in the sketch.

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    some images might help me understand better, but does a sketch pattern work for that?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    james_domerjames_domer Member Posts: 5
    The problem first problem is that I can only get primitive shapes to pattern.  The second problem is that the spacing is fixed.  I cannot define a dimension to set the separation to 10 inches, change it to 9 inches, and then back again.

Apologies for not including an image.  I was trying to figure that out and failed.

• Options
    T_RathierT_Rathier Member Posts: 43 EDU
    The easiest method is to select the entities and then choose a linear pattern. set the number of instances and the distance.

The harder method is to copy a set of sketch entities. First select the entities, right-click, select copy entities. Choose a spot on the screen then right-click and pick paste entities. Use constraints to line it up the way you want and then add a dimension to locate it. This might work better if the entities are not in a horizontal or vertical configuration.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    The linear pattern doesn't have to be horizontal or vertical. Of you drag the little square part of the manipulator, you can change the angle. If you have already made it, look for the horizontal constraint and delete it to allow it to find a new angle
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    james_domerjames_domer Member Posts: 5
    I appreciate the responses.  I was thinking along the lines of the "harder method" mentioned by T_Rathier.  I was hoping to find a smarter way.  Since the two sketches are identical, it seems unnecessary to draw them separately and risk having them become dissimilar through editing,  

I do know how to create a linear pattern but when the set of patterned elements contains a spline, the pattern function fails.  My next thought is to put control points for the spline in the patterned elements, perform the pattern function, and then add the splines last.
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    You may also find that patterning a body (rather than a sketch element) is more flexible and robust.