Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Are gear mates really that hard to do in OnShape?

Maybe just me, but gear mates in OnShape seem much harder than in Solidworks (from which I'm trying to migrate our HS robotics team).  I'm importing parts (gears) from AndyMark which are being (dual planar) mated to a hex shaft.  The hex shaft is fixed mated to a hex bearing mounted in a hole in a base plate.  The bearing is revolute mated to the base plate hole.  Similarly for the meshing gear.  I gather I have to calculate the ratio between the diameters of the two gears, and use the two bearing mounting revolute mates to mate the gears, is this right?  Is it an IP issue that you can't just click on circular face of each gear and have the gear mate created?

Best Answer

Answers

• wesley_churchwesley_church Member Posts: 10 EDU
    Thanks, Matthew.  Just the problem of teaching an old dog new tricks.  I did get spoiled having the software calculate the ratios for me. :)
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @wesley_church, as an aging dog myself I can certainly appreciate the challenge of un-learning years of SolidWorks.  My mantra comes from the movie Cool-Hand-Luke where the warden tells Luke, "You got to get your mind right Luke".

Onshape has so many unique capabilities and novel workflows that I find it worth the effort.  And with a three-week release cycle the future is extremely bright!

Cheers