Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Different result between slicers (Solved)

jean_philippe_careljean_philippe_carel Member Posts: 6
edited December 2020 in Community Support
Hi,
I use Onsahpe for 2 days and I try to learn. I made an exercice to construct an hinge. I succeded (it seems on I have a good result with RepetierHost slicer. But bad with IdeaMaker.
Please, could you give me an indication to find the solution ? Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Answer ✓
    It looks like you have 3 different parts in your Onshape model. Be sure to use the "add" merge option to have just one part. It looks like one of your slicers (the one with the blue preview) is automatically applying a union boolean to bring all of your parts together. I recommend checking out some of the tutorials at https://learn.onshape.com/catalog/learning-pathways to get started.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • jean_philippe_careljean_philippe_carel Member Posts: 6
    Thank you very much. That was that. I came from OpenScad and I am a little disturbed by the change of approach. But Anyway. I'm learning. T,k you again. :)
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    No problem! Happy I could help.

A key concept in Onshape is that you can have multiple parts in one part studio which are physically independent, but can share a modeling/feature history. When adding features like revolve, extrude, sweep, etc., they can:
    1. Make new parts/solid bodies (new)
    2. Add material to existing parts/solids (add)
    3. Cut away material from existing parts/solids (subtract)
    4. 3D cookie cutter, keeping material where the feature and existing parts are (intersect)

Also, if you're coming from OpenSCAD, I think you will enjoy FeatureScript. It's the language that all of the internal features are specified in (including the basics like extrude and revolve), and you can write your own custom features using it. However, I don't have any real experience with it yet, so I'm not sure where to suggest starting out with it. A good first step would probably be getting used to the UI-based modeling tools.

I hope everything goes well with learning Onshape!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com