Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

is it possible to specify teeth specs?

elhanan_maayanelhanan_maayan Member Posts: 17
lets' say i wanted to make a sprocket like the one on the table that that should threaded on to that spindle, all i know that this a sprocket for T8F chain 
and these are the specs, (3rd line from the top) can i input those somewhere? 

Displaying

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Sure you can: there's a great video on creating sprockets from the raw data, at 

https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-lets-build-a-sprocket

ON EDIT:
    you'll need to make a private copy of the Onshape document associated with that tech tip, go to the tab called 'Sprocket Tooth Profile', right click on the tab and choose "Download", and then you can enter the roller diameter, pitch and number of sprocket teeth into the spreadsheet to calculate all the data you need to enter into the sketch provided in the "Tooth Profile" Part Studio.

It's arguably the best, easiest and yet most adaptable, sprocket design tool available anywhere.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Andrew is quite correct in reference to this video and document except that the data you are presenting is the chain data. I believe that you will need to find the sprocket data to proceed with this document.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Actually upon review of  the video it is quite clear that you can find the data in the Machinery's Handbook.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Not so, @da_vicki: it really is a wonderful one-stop resource.

The spreadsheet embedded in that document requires only the three data I listed (which are all in the roller chain chart published in the OP) in order to calculate things like tip diameter, pitch diameter, and tooth profile. That leaves the width of the sprocket, but this is essentially a matter of user choice combined with material availability: it just has to provide a clearance inside the roller sideplates. A usual plate thickness would be 0.85 to 0.9 x the width between inner plates.
    IF the sprocket is being turned from solid material, a common formula is 

Sprocket thickness = 0.93 × Width between inner sideplates - 0.15mm
  • Options
     Ah Yes, Should have watched the end. Very well done @darren_henry and gr8 advise @andrew_troup .
    This absolutely satisfies the OP question.