Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to merge two workspaces that weren't created by branching?

Is it possible to merge two workspaces that weren't created by branching? Everything I can find about merging workspaces presumes the "source" originated as a branch from the "target"; nothing (I've found so far) explicitly rules out merging from two separate workspace documents, but I can't seem to find a tool that enables this.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 696
    Answer ✓
    @wesley_church

We only have merging within the same document. 
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wesley_church, I'm not sure what your intent is, but if you're trying to bring multiple parts into the same part studio that can be done via Derived. If you're trying to merge features, as @lana mentioned, that can't be done across documents. However, Derived can also import sketches, surfaces, curves, and mate connectors, which would facilitate recreating features.
  • Options
    wesley_churchwesley_church Member Posts: 10 EDU
    Thanks @mahir, but before I took the time to study up on branching, I had just made a workspace copy to try adding some additional parts to a complex assembly.  The experiment worked, so I was looking to see if I could merge the new workspace back into the original.  @Lana's post was the direct answer to my question.  Now I know about creating branches, etc. to experiment with approaches as I learn OnShape.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem. Happy modeling!