Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Linear pattern tool

matt_saegermatt_saeger Member Posts: 4
I am trying to draw a grid of circles like a peg board. I am using the linear pattern tool and I can't figure out how to specify the number of objects in both directions. 

Also how can I specify the distance grid of objects are from the edge or just center them all. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    You don't get the option for multiple instances in the second direction until you drag out the arrow for that direction.

This saves keystrokes and mouse-clicks in the case where you only wanted a linear pattern in one direction.

The key to positioning is to provide constraints -- either to the end position, or a symmetric constraint involving the extreme positions, in x and y -- once the pattern is otherwise completed
  • Options
    matt_saegermatt_saeger Member Posts: 4
    Thanks I was not seeing the second arrow because I was zoomed in too far. Now I have to figure out the constraints. 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's a good training video dealing with some aspects of constraining - I think it's this one
    https://www.onshape.com/learn/essential-training-series#!lesson-number=2&title=part-studios

starting at about 1m30
  • Options
    michiel_helvensteijnmichiel_helvensteijn Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Thanks I was not seeing the second arrow because I was zoomed in too far.
    Me too. I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why I can't use two directions in linear patterns anymore. I was wondering if perhaps the feature was removed. When working on small parts, I simply never had the need to zoom out that much.

So: Why not set the initial spacing in such a way that both arrows are visible at whatever the current zoom level is?