Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Measure gap in assembly

jeff_sandersjeff_sanders Member Posts: 3
edited December 2020 in Community Support
I am a newbie to OnShape, but I am simply trying to measure a gap in an Assembly.  I want to tweak the part length in a PartStudio sketch but was trying to avoid doing all the math manually.  I put it in an Assembly drawing and mated it in place.  I can now see exactly how much longer I want to make the part, but I can not figure out a way to pull the data.  Am I missing something here?? 

Also, I put "construction lines" in my PartStudio which I thought I could reference to help with mating location of the part.  I expect I don't really know how this works or best way to convey a mate location to an assembly.  I watched the online video but guess I best go have another look.

Answers

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Select the 2 faces, lines, or vertices that you want to measure between and the measurement should show in the bottom right corner of your screen. If you would like more detailed info click on the ruler icon and it will open a panel with additional info. Make sure that only the items you want to measure between are highlighted. 
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I'm a relative newbie also. In an assembly you can click on the faces of the two parts you wish to measure the difference in length. In the lower right of your screen the information you seek is provided. You could then return to the part studio and edit the part using that information.

While in the assembly you can also right click on the part you would like to edit to match the other part and select Edit In Context. I tried this in an assembly I already created and, after selecting Edit In Context, I selected Move Face and then clicked on the face to be moved. While in Move Face I selected Translate and proceeded to select the face of the part I wanted to match to.

- Scotty
  • jeff_sandersjeff_sanders Member Posts: 3
    Both answers very helpful. Thank you!  Worked perfectly.