Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to keep the mates when I do a "Replace instance"?

hank_debeyhank_debey Member Posts: 31
I replace instances and the mates for the original instances are destroyed. Is there a way to keep the mates?

Best Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Answer ✓
    Mates are only kept if you are replacing a part with another that has the same internal face and edge id's (perhaps a copy or branch of the original), otherwise there's no way we can second-guess what mate references you want to use. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Adding mate connectors in the part studio to parts you replace frequently will preserve the mate

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Answer ✓
    Mates are only kept if you are replacing a part with another that has the same internal face and edge id's (perhaps a copy or branch of the original), otherwise there's no way we can second-guess what mate references you want to use. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Adding mate connectors in the part studio to parts you replace frequently will preserve the mate
  • Options
    hank_debeyhank_debey Member Posts: 31
    Thanks.
  • Options
    david_rubli136david_rubli136 Member Posts: 17 PRO
    I made a copy of a complex plate that has many holes, add a few holes and when use the replace command, I'm loosing all mates