Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Getting reasonably smooth rendering of Onshape objects in Sketch Up

john_mardirosian229john_mardirosian229 Member Posts: 15
I have exported one of my components in the only format that occurs as both an Onshape Export format and a Sketch Up Import format (STL). The component is a fairly smooth curved shell with a few dozen indents/edges (see first image). In Sketch Up the component appears with a huge number of lines (~ 10,000), making the final view unsightly (see second image). Any ideas on format conversion programs that could bridge the gap, giving me a less accurate but more pleasing result? I have already turned down the Export granularity in Onshape to Coarse, and that is still unacceptable.

Comments

• john_mardirosian229john_mardirosian229 Member Posts: 15
    This issue is resolved. Some research on the web with Google query on making smooth shapes in Sketch Up led to two very useful videos. From Justin Geis, provding a summary of many tools that could solve the issue, those available in Sketch Up baseline and some paid optional tools.
    making rounded shapes in sketch up - Google Search. Second on using the Smoove Tool from Professional CAD Systems at SketchUp - How to use the Smoove Tool - YouTube
    Key find was the comment and demonstration of the Soften/Smooth edges feature available with a right-click on certain objects. The STL exported component is just that kind of object... so the result was great.

• romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Thank you for posting your resolution to the issue. That really helps the rest of us that find your question - and then find the answer too!