Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Looking for Onshape/CAM professional for consulting gig

eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 75 EDU
Hey all! I was recently contacted by a furniture company that's acquired an older pod and rail CNC machine. They also have a 5 axis machine that's in use. They use these machines to create furniture on an assembly line. It's a very old company that's been doing things mostly by hand forever and they're getting into CNC automation now.

They used to oursource all of their CNC work, and they bought the CNC machine from the shop that they outsourced to since they went out of business. They were expecting all of their part programs to be on the machine, but apparently they are not.

What they're looking for is someone to built their models in CAD, and then set them up with some CAM software to run their jobs.

They neither have CAD, or CAM software at the moment.

I'd set them up with our CAM software, but it's not setup for 5 axis yet, which is part of what they need.

So here's the ask: Is there anyone out there with this sort of experience that would be interested in taking this on as a consulting gig? It sounds like you'd get to choose the software stack since they don't own anything yet. I can make the connection if someone here is interested.

Perhaps @MichaelPascoe?

Comments

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited January 2021
    This sounds exactly like our company, Cache River Mill, 5 years ago. If they decide to go with Onshape for CAD, which I highly recommend for furniture, I can set them up with anything they may need.

Here are some things I have learned that they might be helpful.

5-axis CAM software:
    • Alphacam (We use this. DO NOT BUY)
    • CamWorks
    • HyperMILL

Cabinet CAM software: (also see the attached report)
    • Cabinet Vision
    • KCD (Only buy if you will not be doing fancy custom cabinets.)
    • Microvellum
    • Onshape (More time consuming for cabinets, but you can model absolutely anything.)

Here is one of the reasons I prefer Onshape when modeling furniture:

The models are completely configurable "adjustable". You can build anything to be like this. Here is an old model model I made, configurations can be much better looking now.

Please see the attached cabinet software report. 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎