Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

DWG: Dimension to center of slot cutout?

JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
Having a hard time figuring out how to give a dimension to the center of a pin slot. The cutout is slotted as part of an alignment feature and the slot is there so the mating, pinned component doesn't bind. But on the drawing I can't dimension to the center of the slot, just the two circular edges. Any advice? I already went and re-did the sketch/cut with a new slot sketch to ensure it was "seen" as a slot sketched feature vs a couple arcs and lines. But that didn't work.

Comments

• Options
    Including a simplified screenshot for clarity. The slot is below and I can dimension to the ends of it (5.25 & 4.86) but not the center (theoretically 5.06).

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    You can show the sketch that created the slot (Sketches from the Part studio can be shown in drawing views...but you can't create sketches in drawings yet). Right-click the drawing view and select "show sketches" ... scroll through the list and select the one you want. Once you click the green check, the sketch will appear on the drawing view, and you can dimension to it.
    If you don't have a sketch in the Part Studio that includes ONLY the slot reference, then you can create one, label it "slot dimension sketch" or something...then show THAT sketch in your drawing. Just make sure it's constrained properly to your slot so it remains parametric as needed.
    Hope that helps,
    Romeo

• Options
    Yeah, I didn't think of making just a slot-sketch specific for the drawing. I had pulled in the sketch but it was full of other things I didn't want.  that should work. Thanks!