Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cutting Profiles

kyle_hunt009kyle_hunt009 Member Posts: 3 EDU
Hi there,

I've drawn up a cutting board, creating each piece of wood as a new body (as its a striped board).
I want to then draw out a profile and cut (extrude) the outside of the profile away.
However, I cannot figure out how to do it as it won't let me select multiple bodies for the profile.
What am I missing in this process?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    Something like this?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6080af9d6980b669812980c1/w/91d0fa8be9c62173e65158bc/e/6b8c17ba3392dc71515a0e28
    I should have only done half of it and then mirrored it but you can play with that if you like.
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    The method I chose was to create one piece of the block in a part studio. I then selected the Linear Pattern tool to multiply the piece. (This is assuming your pieces are of equal width. If not they can be aligned piece by piece using Transform by Mate Connector. Probably better to have created a sketch with the piece elements already aligned and then extrude the elements to create the pieces.) I then created a sketch of the profile on the top face of a piece (any piece). Using the Extrude tool I selected the sketch and opted to Remove. I then opted to select the Up To Face parameter (which is my preference) and selected to bottom face of a piece to extrude to. I then selected all the pieces for the merge scope.

I also tried to do the same method in an assembly but didn't have success. After doing the linear pattern I grouped the pieces and inserted the group into the assembly. Right clicking on a piece I selected Edit In Context which brought me back to the part studio. Trying the Extrude/Remove as described above and selecting all the pieces, the extrude failed.

- Scotty
  • kyle_hunt009kyle_hunt009 Member Posts: 3 EDU
    That looks great Wayne, I think the solution to my problem was that I needed to outline the entire shape I wanted to remove.
    On another note, how did you add the wood grain? I have not been able to figure that out yet.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    It is a feature script feature created by Tim Rice at onshape. You can open this link and add it to your tools. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f5cd9f4b2ec8e9eea7266f1e/v/7b36726274b62ee2f6b6f979/e/164a345abac05bcbafc14242