Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Welded Parts

guillermo_4guillermo_4 Member Posts: 5

I model welded parts as multiple parts in a part studio. So, when I insert the “welded” part in an assembly, I immediately group them, so it can be treated as a single unit for further mating.

But if I go back and, for example, add a new component to the “weldment”, updating the assembly is a pain: I have to (1) insert the single, usually small part and then create mates to position it, or (2) rebuild the assembly to be able to preserve the “welded” intention using the group feature. The first approach is undesirable because of the extra mates, and because it somehow breaks the intention of the “welded” part as a rigid unit. The second approach is unpractical for big assemblies. 

So, I think a welded part feature would be great!

I suppose it doesn’t have to be very complicated, just inherit the group feature from assemblies to create groups inside a part studio. Then this group of parts can be inserted in the assembly as a rigid unit. This way, if I go back to the part studio and modify the group, for example adding a part, this change propagates to the assembly, and I don’t require any further actions to have my model updated.

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me this would have broader advantages than just for weldments, so it would be great to have such capability, and I would like to see it given a more generic name.
    There may be a better way of achieving the result, but it seems eminently worth striving to improve this workflow.
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    You could add your extra components in the part studio, delete your existing group in your assy then reimport all your studio including the new components and then create a new group.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peter_hall
    That's fine, except in the (rather common) case where multiple mates - could be scores, or more - depended on the original group. and would have to be laboriously reinstated or recreated. It's usually quicker to delete dangling mates and start again, at least in Solidworks... it's just too confusing trying to round up the lost lambs and 'mother them on'...
    It may actually be worse in Onshape, seeing the necessary connectors will be superimposed in most cases.

But I'm talking theoretically: hopefully someone who has actually grappled with these issues in Onshape will chime in and correct me.
  • Options
    guillermo_4guillermo_4 Member Posts: 5
    Another idea, this could be done if when inserting the whole part studio in the assembly (selecting the root element in the tree of the insert dialog), it is treated as a single, rigid unit.