Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding to an existing part studio (that was already added to an assembly)

Mr_KroeplinMr_Kroeplin Member Posts: 1 EDU
Hello,
Having trouble and am hoping for help.  I created an assembly.  When I went back to the part studio and created a few more parts within part studio, it doesn't automatically add it to the assembly.  That's ok.  However, when I place them in the assembly they are not placed where I created them in relation to the other parts from the same part studio.  Please click HERE for a screencast.
Thanks so much for any advice.
Wayne
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    When you're placing a part in an assembly, if you don't click in the viewport, and just hit the green check, it gets dropped in so the part studio origin and assembly origins line up. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to "reset" this position once the part has been moved around (Onshape, please add this). In your case, the parts are modeled lower down, but the part you're wanting them to relate to has been moved up, so it's no longer placed on the origin. I recommend just using mates in the assembly to position it. If all of the faces you're mating to are the same, you can maybe make use of the replicate tool to get the rest in position quickly.

It looks like you're patterning them in the part studio, which can be a bit easier and more robust to get the geometry you want, but can make data management tough if you care about that for this project (for example an accurate Bill of Materials or revision management of parts). If you want clean, tidy metadata, then you should only model each unique part once and duplicate it in the assembly by copy/paste, replicate, or patterns.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl