Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Create a plane that is oriented perpendicular to one end of a selected curve/spline?

nick_p816nick_p816 Member Posts: 2
This seems like it should be very simple because it is built in to OnShape as the "Curve point" option when creating a plane manually. However, I cannot figure out how to do this in a featurescript. It would be optimal if you could just select a spline/line/polyline, and it would create a plane perpendicular to either of it's ends.

Forgive me if it is indeed simple as I am just starting to get into featurescripting.

Best Answer

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Our Plane feature (cplane.fs) uses evEdgeTangentLine to get a line tangent to the curve at a particular parameter (0 or 1 in this case) and then constructs a plane using its origin and normal. See here for a simplified example.

Answers

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Our Plane feature (cplane.fs) uses evEdgeTangentLine to get a line tangent to the curve at a particular parameter (0 or 1 in this case) and then constructs a plane using its origin and normal. See here for a simplified example.