Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Twist along path - Sweep

Hi guys,

I'm just curious as to what is the best way to achieve a twist in a sweep profile?

I am trying to take a hexagon, extrude/sweep it 20mm and twist the profile through the sweep/extrude.

Obviously I can create a plane and sketch another hexagon in the correct orientation and then loft but that is a long way around to create a simple shape.

Best Answer

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is currently no control over twist in the way you seek; the loft option is the way to go for now, but the program is evolving fast. You can vote for several levels of enhancement to sweep, including the exact one you identify here, by going to "Improvement Requests"

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is currently no control over twist in the way you seek; the loft option is the way to go for now, but the program is evolving fast. You can vote for several levels of enhancement to sweep, including the exact one you identify here, by going to "Improvement Requests"
  • josh_o_connelljosh_o_connell Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Andrew,

Much appreciated.
  • john_brodowskijohn_brodowski Member Posts: 37
    Sweep commend works fine in one plane, profile gets twisted when Sweeping profile from one plane to another.
    The profile twist angle is equal to the angle between 2 planes.
    Using Loft to eliminate the twist is unreasonable, when sweeping many sections.
    There is no such problem with Pro-e.
    OnShape has a way to go fixing many modeling issues. I am here only a couple of weeks and still learning how to use OnShape.
    You fellows are great tying to help me with my assembly issue. All to no avail.
    Why is it so difficult to  recall parts into the assembly?

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    john_brodowski,as what you said, we can not choose many sections as the guide lines of loft feature,just a whole line,arc or spline is ok,and there should be an intersection between profile and guide when creating loft.About twist alone-path,maybe it will appear later,Onshape has a continual improvement.But I can not understand "Why is it so difficult to  recall parts into the assembly?" ,could you expain it in detail,maybe I can help you.