Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Laser cutting questions

barry_sheridanbarry_sheridan Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hello, I'm new to Onshape but not to CAD in general. I have been using Onshape to design fairly complicated laser cut models. I model all of the parts in a single Part Studio. After this I create a single tighly-packed drawing with all of the parts efficiently laid out for laser cutting.

But I've run into a couple of workflow issues, can you help me please?

1. SELECTING PARTS. The drawing is so tightly packed that it becomes almost impossible to select and re-position individual drawing views. The cursor seems to want to grab the empty space of each drawing view and prevent me slecting the smaller parts in particular. I can wrestle with sending objects to the background, but it's still very frustrating.

2. DUPLICATING DRAWING VIEWS. My design uses multiple copies of a small clip. I've modelled this object once and placed it onto the laser cutting drawing. But how do I duplicate this drawing view dozens of times. I want to cut out dozens of these wee clips, and the process of inserting it from the Part Studio each time is tedious. There must be a way to duplicate drawing views?

3. LINE COLOUR. My laser cutter looks for lines of different colours. How do I put different line colours into a drawing?

4. EDITING THE DRAWINGS AFTERWARDS. To each part in my laser cutting layout drawing I'd like to edit the outline. (Basically I want to break the lines so the laser cutter leaves a small unbroken bridge to let customers pop out the parts themselves at home). I can't figure out how to edit the drawings after the've been laid out.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Barry