Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is Onshape enough similar to solidworks?

MM1379MM1379 Member Posts: 5 EDU
Hello everyone
Our school is holding a solidwork tutorial class but my OS is ubuntu so I cannot install SW........
I want to know Is onshape enough similar to solidworks  that I can use it as a SW alternative for the class?
Also I 've found Onshape interesting.

Sorry for my poor English &Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The answer is really "it depends".  Like Ian said, they are really similar in fundamentals, but Solidworks has been around a lot longer and has more features in some areas. So, if your teacher or curriculum forces you to use those specific things, you may run into issues. 

Solidworks also has built-in tools for simulation and rendering included with academic licenses sometimes (maybe always?). In contrast, onshape has 3rd party options for these and they aren't always free. So, if the curriculum includes these you may have difficulties doing assignments there as well. 

Also, you would need to figure out how you are submitting assignments. Your teacher would need to either create an onshape account to see your documents, or you'd have to export your files for submission. This might be OK, but if you need to submit native solidworks files specifically, you wouldn't be able to create those using onshape. 

So, you would need to talk to your teacher and see if it would be compatible with the assignments. 

Answers

• Options
    ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Onshape is similar to SW in the way parts and assemblies are modeled. It is a good choice and should work well for your school project if your teacher allows
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The answer is really "it depends".  Like Ian said, they are really similar in fundamentals, but Solidworks has been around a lot longer and has more features in some areas. So, if your teacher or curriculum forces you to use those specific things, you may run into issues. 

Solidworks also has built-in tools for simulation and rendering included with academic licenses sometimes (maybe always?). In contrast, onshape has 3rd party options for these and they aren't always free. So, if the curriculum includes these you may have difficulties doing assignments there as well. 

Also, you would need to figure out how you are submitting assignments. Your teacher would need to either create an onshape account to see your documents, or you'd have to export your files for submission. This might be OK, but if you need to submit native solidworks files specifically, you wouldn't be able to create those using onshape. 

So, you would need to talk to your teacher and see if it would be compatible with the assignments. 
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been a while since I dabbled in Linux, but I believe there are also emulation options for running Windows apps. Obviously, there would be a performance hit. But if SW is being provided with the class, using a Windows emulator might be the path of least resistance for this specific class. But beyond the class, learning Onshape is definitely a good idea, and they have plenty of free tutorials that would let you learn at your own pace.