Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move Face Limitations?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
Curious about a move face command that will not execute. Are there limitations? Perhaps constraints? Works fine on a simple shape in another part studio but not the part I would like to move a face on.

Thank you

Answers

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Intersting...it seems to move all adjoining faces around a curve but no single face. It that expected behavior?
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move face often fails because it can't create new faces or delete existing ones to meet the face transform constrains. It likes when all adjacent faces stay there.
    REALLY frustrating... Some parts will allow a single face to be moved, as expected, others require a series of adjacent faces to be selected (not all of which need moving) before any face will move. Useless in my real world needs.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expanding on what @konstantin_shiriazdanov said, Move Face can only extend/trim existing adjacent faces in order to move the required face(s). But once these adjacent faces have reached the limits of extension/trimming, then the Move Face command will fail.

With a little practice, it's usually pretty straightforward to know what faces need to be selected to achieve the desired effect. If an adjacent can be extended/trimmed, then you're probably ok not selecting it. But for something like an attached fillet surface, those usually can't be extended and must be translated instead, necessitating adding the fillet surface to the Move Face selection.
    mahir said:
    Expanding on what @konstantin_shiriazdanov said, Move Face can only extend/trim existing adjacent faces in order to move the required face(s). But once these adjacent faces have reached the limits of extension/trimming, then the Move Face command will fail.

With a little practice, it's usually pretty straightforward to know what faces need to be selected to achieve the desired effect. If an adjacent can be extended/trimmed, then you're probably ok not selecting it. But for something like an attached fillet surface, those usually can't be extended and must be translated instead, necessitating adding the fillet surface to the Move Face selection.
    I THINK I understand the verbiage and with simple models OS will move individual faces with no problem, adjacent or not, but apparently as the model complexity increases individual faces cannot be moved for, most likely, the reasons stated above, not helping the situation. The challenge is I am 3D printing parts and am projecting sketch entities from one part to fit within another part. Those projected sketch lines leave no room for one 3D printed part to actually fit within the other. If I can 'move' specific faces to give the needed tolerance for fitment it's golden but so far a face will only move if enough adjacent faces (as stated, including those I do not want to move) are selected.

I even tried importing a parametric model but the same too many faces need to be selected before any will move. The alternative is to 'offset' each sketch a couple thou. But that adds a layer of complexity and will probably 'break the model'. Or is there an another alternative?

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26
    What you shown on the video is actually pretty expected behavior, it can move every face individually if you uncheck "move fillet". Also you can use boolean subtract with offset option to make a global fit of one part in another

edited February 26
    AHA - There's some magic sauce and I thank you very much Konstantin. I'll explore the options you've suggested. Also will try "boolean subtract with offset option" if I can figure out what that means, or if the move face command does not (or I can't get it to) work.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your intent is to create a controlled gap to account for tolerances, there are other options. First one that comes to mind is to create a surface copy of the faces in question using Offset Surface. Then, use the Thicken command to remove material in one or both directions. You may need to extend the boundary of the copied surface using Move Boundary. This technique requires more steps than using Move Face directly, but it is more robust and less likely to fail due to the nuances of adjacent faces.